3 January 2016

SUNDAY SAMPLE BENEFIT POREFESSIONAL PRO BALM - REVIEW




I have a confession...I'm having an affair, yes in my mid fifties I find myself lusting after a cartoon like cosmetic brand, strange to some I know, but when you have been involved in all things beauty for 35 years, believe me a cosmetic crush is very real and benefit cosmetics is the cause!

Benefit cosmetics has been around for over thirty years and was founded by San Francisco twin sisters Jean & Jane Ford and it made a somewhat brief appearance on the South African cosmetic scene several years ago in the SA retailer Woolworths and since mid 2015 their pink funky counters can be found in selected Edgars and Red Squares around the country and happily more are planned to roll out in 2016. 

Initially I overlooked this whimsical brand thinking it was aimed at youngsters and how could I, as a mature human "beauty" being, take their products seriously, but underneath their quirky names lie some really good products. Now benefit is no way a budget brand in South Africa, which also made me a little hesitant to try, as the last thing we needed in SA was another overpriced, underwhelming international brand.

I started off by using one of their best selling products Roller Lash Mascara, as I'd heard so much about it and I'm always on the look out for the next best thing in mascara's and that was it... The beginning of my transformation into a benebabe...I also have several other make-up items and skincare products to review in the future, so I sense that 2016 is my benefit year.



benefit POREfessional Pro Balm R395 


This weeks Sunday Sample review is on another, now iconic, benefit product POREfessional
 (clever play on words, which also endears you to the brand).

Again I had read so many good things about this face primer, but I was certain that this was not for my "mature" skin based on the name alone! 
I would never have looked at this product if it hadn't been for the sample I received. 


benefit POREfessional Pro Balm


In benefits own words:

Quickly minimize the appearance of pores & fine lines for smoother-than-smooth skin! Apply this silky, lightweight balm alone, under or over makeup. Translucent, oil-free formula complements all skintones and helps makeup stay put. Contains a Vitamin E derivative, known to protect skin from free radicals.

My initial thoughts upon reading were I don't have large or visible pores and my skin doesn't need a lightweight, oil-free formula, but on the other hand the words that grabbed my attention were Vitamin E and helps make-up stay put. I was expecting not to like this product, so I didn't have any high hopes that it would, in anyway benefit my skin, but how wrong I was!

So let me give you the run down.....
This product can be used two ways, although I only tested under make-up, but if you do have large visible pores, then over could be more beneficial.
To use under makeup: Apply to clean, lightly moisturized skin. Pat on problem areas & blend with fingertips.

To use over makeup: Pat on lightly over makeup & blend.




I applied over a really well moisturised skin and the lightweight balm has a slight tint, which is compatable with all skin tones. 
It felt silky to the touch and was easy to apply and just glided onto my skin beautifully. 
It reminded of a product that I used to love from the Swiss skincare brand La Prairie, called Rose Illusion (unfortunately I think it was discontinued) and one its functions was to smooth the skin and minimize fine lines and wrinkles, whilst priming your skin for make-up application.
The benefit POREfessional Pro Balm would be a good replacement at a fraction of the price and despite my initial reservations I find my love for this brand is growing, which just goes to show that benefit is a brand for all ages. 
Note to self....don't judge a beauty product by its cover!








No comments:

Post a Comment