21 February 2013

KIEHL'S OVER-NIGHT BIOLOGICAL PEEL {REVIEW}




August last year saw the launch of Kiehl's (for those that are unsure, it rhymes with "heals") first store within Edgars, Sandton City, Johannesburg, South Africa.




Kiehl's was founded over 160 years ago as an Old Worlde Apothecary in New York's East Village neighbourhood. The range covers top to toe skin care and beauty products for men and women and even includes a baby range and the brand has a great following of converts around the world.
I have seen Kiehl's on my trips overseas, but never tried any of their products until recently, when I got samples from their "Pop Up" store in Edgars Canal Walk.


My only other insight into Kiehl's comes from one of their past trainers! I attended another brands "trainers" training in London in 2011 and she had worked for Kiehls for several years as a trainer, but was then training "us" trainers, for another brand. She was very knowledgeable and had worked with several high end beauty brands during her career. Me.. being an inquisitive soul, asked her loads of questions about those other houses and I could see the passion in her eyes, as well hear it in her voice, when she spoke about her time with Kiehl's and that was enough for me to know, how good the brand was!

Being the "Queen of Exfoliation" I couldn't wait to try the Over-Night Biological Peel. I don't know of too many houses that make an overnight peel and have therefore never used one before,so this made me even more intrigued and hopeful, as I am always looking for a new favourite exfoliator!



Product Claims & Active Ingredients:

This potent, effective peel for overnight use stimulates the desquamation process - the biological means by which skin restores itself. Our treatment is formulated with naturally-derived ingredients to enhance formula efficacy while performing a safe and gentle peeling action. Urea, an enzyme activator naturally present in the surface layer of the epidermis, performs the vital function of dissolving and loosening the horny layer of skin, stimulating cell renewal and the exfoliation of dead surface skin cells. Blended with HEPES (Hydroxyethylpiperazine Ethane Sulfonic Acid) and a high concentration of Sodium Hyaluronate, known for its powerful hydrating properties, our peeling treatment helps to gently renew skin, leaving texture softer, more even, and vibrant after first use. With continued use, the formula helps reduce the look of pore size and ameliorate the effects of free-radical and photo-damage. Non-comedogenic, oil-free, and dermatologist tested for safety and efficacy. May be used by all skin types.


Application & Texture:

I applied this easy to use product, as directed, but I found the clear neutral smelling gel, to have a "sticky" feel on my skin which I didn't like,but I persevered and slept with the peel overnight. The removal is easy in the morning with just warm water.

Size:

50ml


Price:

R565


Overall impression:

I was undecided as to whether I should post this blog or not.....the reason being, I so, so wanted to write a glowing review about how great this product was for me....but unfortunately its results were the same as many other peels, exfoliators and scrubs, out there, your skin feels smoother and  looks brighter. As it states above there are added benefits with continued use,which cannot be seen after only two uses.Personally I was unimpressed, but after many years in this industry it really does take something "WoW" to impress me, especially where exfoliators are concerned! If you follow my blog, you will know that I have a passion/obsession with exfoliation, Don't accumulate- Exfoliate ,which in my opinion, is the key "must have" product in all skin care regimes.
The other concern I have with any overnight peel, would be, that I miss out on using my regular night cream when using the peel.....and having a mature, normal to dry skin skin and being concerned about ageing, I'm not too happy with this, so perhaps overnight peels are not ideal for me....

The 5ml sample that I was given is enough for two applications and I did use it twice, hoping that I would enjoy the product more on the second application, but it was not to be!
We shouldn't be put off an entire brand because a couple of products fail to please, as I always profess, my ideal range would be made up of my favourite products from many different houses! 

Its in a case like mine, when the "try before you buy" philosophy comes into its own and has been hugely responsible for the success of Kiehl's worldwide. If I had bought the full size product I would have been less likely to purchase any other products in their range, due to me not enjoying the Over Night Biological Peel....whereas now I am more than happy to try the other samples before investing outright.  I know sampling eats into the marketing budgets of the brands and they can be abused by those sample hunters, but in my opinion it pays off in the long term....so onwards I go and I will try the next Kiehl's sample, guess which it is?...its the Epidermal Re-Texturizing Micro Dermabrasion!
Review to follow!

Kiehl's is available from Edgars Sandton only... but more stores are planned for a roll out this year.






No comments:

Post a Comment